Friday, February 8, 2013

Southwest Chicken Taco Filling Crock Pot with Crock Rice

Last night's dinner turned out to be surprisingly yummy so I decided to share it.  To be honest, one of my main motivations for sharing is so I can remember it for later.  I'm terrible about completely forgetting that I ever made a dish.  Since this one was so simple and used ingredients I almost always have on hand, I knew I couldn't let it go the way of the other forgotten recipes of the Barr household.  Unfortunately I didn't take pictures since I had no idea it was going to be so yummy...come to think of it, I have some leftover even after I chowed down at lunch.  I'll have to get some pictures of that!  Anyway, here's what I threw in the Crock Pot:

2 Frozen Chicken Breasts
2 cups or so of Frozen Corn
1 Can of Stewed Tomatoes (I used "Southwest Style")
1 Onion chopped
3 Garlic cloves chopped (increase or decrease to your liking)
Salt to taste

That's all.  Throw it all the in the Crock Pot.  4-6 hours on high.  I used boneless skinless chicken breasts so to shred it I just stirred it up.  Easy!  Serve with hard or soft tortilla shells with some shredded cheese if you like.

...and the Rice...

Brown Rice to be exact.  I always wait to long to decide to add brown rice to my meals.  So I found this recipe on Pinterest for brown rice in the crock pot...Genius!  The key is to spray the slow cooker with cooking spray before adding the rice and water, greasing it butter, I'm sure, would achieve the same results.  The recipe used 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water.  I put that in my Crock Pot and decided it would hold more and it did.  My 2 quart crock pot held 3 cups of rice and 6 cups of water perfectly and cooked it to perfection in about 3 hours.  I also didn't use hot water like the recipe calls for as it takes FOREVER for my tap to heat up and I'm a stickler about saving on our water bill.  I added Chili Powder and Red Pepper Flakes, Butter, and Salt when it was done.  It was the perfect addition to our tacos.  Next time I'll try to remember to have some pintos on hand.

3 cups uncooked Brown Rice
6 cups Water
cooking spray
Chili Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Butter
Salt

Crock it:  3 hours, stir, add butter, seasonings

Enjoy!  Let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment